Humane Society of Central Illinois

423 Kays Drive, Normal, IL 61761  •  (309) 451-1000  •  Viewing Hours

Lost Pets!

Lost and Found - What To Do

Steps to take if you have lost an animal:

  1. If your pet is microchipped, contact the microchip registry to inform them your pet is missing. Make sure they have your correct contact information.
  2. Visit McLean County Animal Control daily to search for your lost pet. MCAC has the rabies tag registration records. Remember that having a designated shelter to locate pets in McLean County helps reunite pet owners more efficiently. Hang the flyer of your lost pet on their bulletin board.
  3. Prepare a flyer with photos of your pet. Fax this to the area veterinarians and rescue groups.
  4. Check the Lost and Found Pets of McLean County Illinois website. Also visit the Lost-Found Pets in Bloomington/Normal Facebook page and look at the Found postings. Craigslist of Bloomington/Normal also has a Lost & Found listing.

The Lost Pet Behavior article provides some very helpful recommendations on how to search effectively for a lost pet.

Steps to take when finding an animal:

  1. Bloomington/Normal now has a Lost-Found Pets in Bloomington/Normal Facebook page, so check there!
  2. If the pet will be staying with you while the owner is sought, have him/her scanned for a chip at your veterinarian. HSCI can also scan animals.
  3. Place a Found ad in the Pantagraph (free for 3 days). Make sure to leave out some identifying characteristics that the owner will need to supply in order to be reunited with their pet.
  4. If you will not be housing the pet, then contact McLean County Animal Control at (309) 888-5060. They are responsible for stray animals in the area. If you need to reach them after hours and live in Bloomington, call (309) 820-8888. If you live in Normal, call (309) 888-5030 (Metcom) to have an on-call animal warden dispatched.

Back   •   Top