I hope my letter finds you and your loved ones safe and healthy.
In short, I'm writing because the Humane Society of Central Illinois needs your help. It's not lost on anyone the serious and unprecedented situation faced today by our community and our world. What was once "another county's concern" quickly became our own as COVID-19 impacted every dimension of our lives. And, as you can imagine, it has impacted HSCI in ways we never expected.
Donations from our loyal supporters are down significantly and our doors remain closed to visitors through at least May 30. 100% of our operating expenses (now totaling more than $500,000 annually), are funded from donations and animal adoptions. As you can imagine, our ability to support operations is becoming very difficult. To manage costs, we've taken drastic steps including a temporary layoff of a number of employees. But, expenses still remain.
In addition, HSCI has been forced to take the following measures:
- The widely popular annual gala has been canceled for 2020 - our biggest and most important event of the year, historically raising upward of $70,000 annually.
- The spring garage sale and numerous bake sales have been indefinitely postponed. While smaller events, they generate more than $6000 combined towards food and medical supplies for our animals.
- Painting events and restaurant fundraisers have been canceled, eliminating over $5000 in revenue.
- Canceled the 4th of July Sit-In.
- Postponed additional Kitten Yoga sessions.
But, there is good news too! Many in our community are still adopting our animals, and programs like the Spay/Neuter Clinic continue. Dogs, cats and other small animals are still finding their forever home! We are so grateful for those who have opened their hearts and their homes to an animal in need!
If you are in a position to make a monetary donation, we ask that you consider making one now to the newly formed HSCI Shelter Relief Fund. Gifts at the following levels go a long way toward supporting the shelter:
|$25 -||provides microchips for two shelter animals|
|$50 -||helps feed our shelter cats for one week|
|$75 -||helps feed our shelter dogs for one week|
|$100 -||virtual adoption of one cat|
|$150 -||provides cat litter for one week|
|$225 -||virtual adoption of one dog|
|$500 -||provides critical medication, vaccines, and medical supplies|
|$1000 -||covers the monthly cost to remove waste and supply water for the shelter|
HSCI Shelter Relief Fund donations can be made online, or print the donation form and mail the form with a check.
Thank you, dear friends, for your continued generosity and support.
HSCI Board President